Thursday, April 14, 2011

1 week Countdown, April 11: Emotions run the gamut

April 11: Scheduled – 12 km with last 2km at marathon pace (~4.7-4.8 min/km).
Actual – on a roll now!

With just one week to go, t-shirts I spotted running Chicago in October, 2009 come to the forefront of my running memories: “Seemed like a good idea 18 weeks ago”; “Who needs toenails”; and “42km – are you insane?!” There were several other very colourful phrases on participants shirts sand supporters signs but I’m far too ‘old school’ regarding gentlemanly behaviour to repeat them in such a public forum as this blog. Clearly recalled now as many of those sentiments borne proudly during that race reflect the emotions I’m feeling now as the calendar inexorably marches on to my date in Boston.

Aside from the slight guilt that has set in for seemingly not doing enough running this past week during the taper, any feelings are compounded by worry about eating too much in the last few days only because it means extra weight to carry around the course (oh yes indeed, real runners are nothing if not a tad obsessive!). And then there’s the sense of relief as in no more ridiculous long, lonely runs in the cold of winter; the anxiety of meeting expectations and performing well on the day (we’re talking running folks!); nervousness of having prepared well enough; concern over staying healthy, getting to the start on time and in my case, booking a hotel room and getting a flight to Boston. All of these thoughts and emotions coursed through my mind in the space of just over an hour while completing a relaxed yet fast finishing 12km along the Bow River pathway in Calgary.

Back near the house after 12km...the last hill the toughest!

Looking west along Bow river, centre of city...end of winter not the most colourful

Arggghhhh, hotels in Boston at this time of year!! I have been monitoring them since last October but didn’t book anything as they were already well into the high $200 range for anything central. Never one to panic about hotels or flights, the stories were starting to concern me as friends thought they got a great deal at $350 a night for a higher end hotel in downtown. Well I’m pleased to say that my hotel loyalty programs paid off and I booked a hotel late Monday for $60 / night plus a bazillion loyalty points, so now we at least have a place to sleep for 3 nights, we just need to get there!

After ticking that item off the ‘to do’ list, an auditory “ear worm” bored its way deep into my mind: went to sleep with Dave Loggins’ “Please Come to Boston” playing on an endless loop inside my brain... just seven more sleeps.


No comments:

Post a Comment