Thursday, March 17, 2011

6 Weeks to go, Mar 7-13: “No man is an island...” (Scheduled total of 35 km or 22 miles)

Perhaps my sub-titles are occasionally a bit too obtuse, especially when I don’t connect the title or elaborate on it later in the text of the blog? For instance, last week, probably only a few connected “Strange things done in the midnight sun”, part of a line from the Robert W. Service poem ‘The Cremation of Sam McGee’, to the bone-chilling runs endured during the first week of March in Calgary where “If our eyes we'd close, then the lashes froze till sometimes we couldn't see....” Not quite as cold as the midnight cross-country ski outing a couple of us undertook under the northern lights in the north-west corner of Alberta in ’82, but dang, last week it was rather chilly running!

And this week, the title refers to lines from John Donne’s work from 1624 that speaks of how others’ death, and for me it extends to others’ sufferings, “diminishes” us all. My runs were poignant reflections on the tragedies that have recently unfolded; my thoughts heavy with concerns for friends and strangers alike in New Zealand still dealing with their earthquake tragedy and of course, profoundly troubled by the horrific events that have occurred in Japan, a combination of multiple disasters difficult to even comprehend let alone watch, actually being stupefied by the images beamed live into ones’ living room.

I have such fond memories of both countries, indeed New Zealand which has always felt like my second home after several long trips going back as far as 1978-79 when I spent 6 months there; while Japan is a place I’ve visited at least six times and where I was always treated so graciously, experiencing hospitality difficult to describe with its complex simplicity and subtleties. Add to this mix the troubles in North Africa, including the protests in Egypt earlier in the year, which was again personal for I lived in Cairo in 1996 and still have friends there; and I felt besieged by the difficulties of others, people I felt connected to for having spent part of my life in their countries. I know that it means everyone must get on with life and that for so many, to get through their living hell they simply need to keep going, but it is sad to bear witness to so much tragedy around the world. It also causes pause to reflect on blessings, providing an undeniable perspective of just how amazing and good life is on a regular basis for so many of us! My heart goes out to all of those suffering for certainly no man, no person, is an island unto themselves if they have a soul.



One of my favourite personal running stories from Japan took place when I was in Nagano as the Canadian team Chef de Mission at the 1998 Paralympic Winter Games. As part of my routine to maintain somewhat of an even keel during an extraordinarily exciting yet frenetic schedule, I tried to get out for a short run on a daily basis. One early morning my route took me out to the fringes of the city and there I soon was, navigating between rice paddies and fields of vegetables on the outskirts of Nagano. Hopping on to one of the paths that criss-crossed the patch-work of tiny fields, more like garden plots in size, I noticed a shoe had become untied so I stopped to tie-up the offending lace. Next thing I know, a woman who was working in the field was racing towards me yelling something in Japanese, so I quickly stood up leaving the laces dangling on to the muddy path. Afraid I was trespassing or in some other way causing a personal affront, I awaited for what I was sure to be a serious scolding. To my surprise, she dropped down on one knee and started typing up my shoe. Now this exact type of thing had happened to me previously in Japan, although it was a very distinguished business man on a commuter train, so I was only momentarily surprised before I launched into my protestations regarding my capability to tie my own shoes despite having only my right hand. She was having none of it! How silly a scene it must have been, me gently pulling this elderly women to her feet, only to then bump heads with her as we both dropped on bended knee to tie-up my shoe. After a few repeats of this Laurel and Hardy routine, I was wise enough to relent to her assistance, an offer of kindness that I simply needed to accept. After lots of bowing, several ‘domo aragatos’ on my part and numerous waves, I was back on my way, my steps lightened by this simple interaction that brought a huge smile to my face, just as it does now thinking about it again.

And what about my marathon training, you ask? For a bit of a change-up, this weeks’ blog provides a simple overview of my week of training, a short description of what the training plan called for and what was actually accomplished. In my case for this year, they are certainly not exactly the same which is typical for those who have competing priorities, nursing ailments, are not full-time athletes or perhaps have adjusted their goals for undertaking a marathon? Many people avoid tackling a formal training plan for they think that to not follow it exactly means failure rather than recognizing it is all about best efforts and flexibility.

Monday, Mar 7: Scheduled - barefoot warm-up and Yoga for flexibility. Actual – took day off although some stretching at home and even tried a bit of yoga that friend sent me a link for and found “downward dog” more fun to say than to actually do!

Tuesday, Mar 8: Scheduled - 7 x 1000m speed, sub 4'/km. Actual – Rt. leg very sore, from hip to heel. Took extra day rest, rescheduled speed workout for Wednesday.

Wednesday: Scheduled - Suppose to be the rescheduled 7x 1000m. Actual – Time squeeze at club as treadmills full when I arrived so easy 3km on very curvy track then 4x1000m at sub 4'/km before having to leave to get to Joel’s hockey final (they won city championships for tier 3 midget hockey.)

Thursday: Scheduled - 10 km aerobic run after barefoot. Actual – Did x-training at gym - 35 min on bike, 15 min light run on track as was registered in a race on Saturday.

Friday: Scheduled - Yoga. Actual – Never have made effort to get to a yoga class for this program and typically do some light stretching, more like a day of rest.

Saturday: Scheduled - Can use this day to make up workouts or X-train day. Actual – Switched with aerobic run scheduled on Thursday. Did a St. Patrick’s day 10km race instead of tempo. Front ran the first 8km but no response when three surged ahead, settled for 4th place. Toughest 44 min 10km I've ever run, likely due to “detour” near start where we were sent wrong way and had t back track?!!

Sunday: Scheduled – Being a rest week, easy 14km with target heart rate zone of 1-2. Actual – Springbank Hill “hood” in SW Calgary overlooking the Elbow River Valley. Completed 15.0 km (9.4 mi) in 1h18:30,. A tad slow on the slush and dodging puddles as a Chinook had moved in so nice and warm at +8C...actually ran in shorts, woo-hooh!!


And just so you don’t have to search for John Donne’s poem, here is a copy. And perhaps do stop to say thank you for all that you have in yor life and to send thoughts and prayers to those who have such heavy burdens.....

“No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.” John Donne, 1624

No comments:

Post a Comment